Sunday, September 11, 2011

New enhanced scientific Python interpreter

As I mentionned in my previous post, the standard Python interpreter provided by Spyder's console has been considerably enhanced. Moreover, despite these interesting enhancements, this is based on a real Python interpreter, not an emulation.

The scientific startup script mentionned in my previous post was integrated in Spyder's development version (under the name scientific_startup.py).

The goal of all these recent changes was to provide a MATLAB-like experience with a minimum of requirements: NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib and Spyder, that's all.

And here are two screenshots of the result (Spyder was executed in `light` mode: `spyder --light`):


4 comments:

  1. I think it's a great addition to the Python console. Could it be possible to add it as a magic command too? So even if you have a different startup script, you can use something like

    >>> %scientific

    to load your it.

    Cheers,
    Carlos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pierre, this is a great piece of software, I use it a lot, and I all I can tell is that it's fun and productive.

    I have a small suggestion to enhance the console so it can be split, like editor documents can. IE having say one console on top and another on bottom- sometimes it would be useful so you can have say a server and a client and you could interact between them and see the results conveniently. Of course, now it can be done, but I have to swap tabs to see the result...

    THX!

    ReplyDelete