Sunday, September 11, 2011

New enhanced scientific Python interpreter

As I mentionned in my previous post, the standard Python interpreter provided by Spyder's console has been considerably enhanced. Moreover, despite these interesting enhancements, this is based on a real Python interpreter, not an emulation.

The scientific startup script mentionned in my previous post was integrated in Spyder's development version (under the name

The goal of all these recent changes was to provide a MATLAB-like experience with a minimum of requirements: NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib and Spyder, that's all.

And here are two screenshots of the result (Spyder was executed in `light` mode: `spyder --light`):


  1. I think it's a great addition to the Python console. Could it be possible to add it as a magic command too? So even if you have a different startup script, you can use something like

    >>> %scientific

    to load your it.


  2. Pierre, this is a great piece of software, I use it a lot, and I all I can tell is that it's fun and productive.

    I have a small suggestion to enhance the console so it can be split, like editor documents can. IE having say one console on top and another on bottom- sometimes it would be useful so you can have say a server and a client and you could interact between them and see the results conveniently. Of course, now it can be done, but I have to swap tabs to see the result...